From the very first years of its existence, the Republic of Armenia established an independent scientific qualification system. Currently operating the RA Supreme Certifying Committee (hereinafter referred to as the RA SCC) was established as a state Government body under the RA Government on the RA Government Decision No-241, 17 May 1993. On the RA Government Decision No-1948-N of September 12, 2002, the Supreme Certifying Committee operated as an agency within the RA Ministry of Education and Science. According to the RA Law “On State Administration Bodies” HO-260-N, the Agency of the RA MoES “Supreme Certifying Commission” has been operating as the “Supreme Certifying Committee” since 9 April 2018.
The functions of SCC were approved in the RA Law “On Scientific and Scientific-Technical Activity” ratified in 2000, according to which the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Science, as well as the titles of Associate Professor and Professor, are awarded in Armenia.
The SCC approves and certifies the scientific degree approved by the professional council, and the scientific title, which is awarded by the scientific council.
Under the current regulation, Supreme Certifying Committee is also entitled to refuse the award of a scientific degree if there are regulatory violations in the qualification process.
Acting Chair of the Supreme Certifying Committee: Ktryan Gagik.
The Chairmans of Supreme Certifying Committee was.
- 2021-2023, Karen Keryan
- 2018-2020, Smbat Gogyan,
- 2013-2018, Lilit Arzumanyan,
- 2010-2013, Artush Ghukasyan,
- 2002-2010, Armen Trchunyan,
- 1998-2002, Gevorg Baghdasaryan,
- 1993-1998, Areg Grigoryan:
The main functions of SCC are:
- Establishing professional councils and coordinating their activities.
- Maintenance of scientific qualification standards.
- Awarding State certificates of scientific degrees and scientific titles.
To ensure this, the SCC implements:
- Periodical review of scientific award nomination list,
- Organization of professional examinations,
- Quality assurance of scientific works, implementation of expertise, in compliance with state standards,
- making the list of periodical publications acceptable for publication of dissertation results and provisions,
- Compliance of documents with the scientific degrees and titles obtained in foreign countries.
Current activities also include archiving of qualification packages, dissertation digitization, dissertation submission to the National Library, database development, maintenance, and operation; promotion of international relations, etc.